The problem, the stigma, the black mark that crushes everyone’s life – drugs, illegal drugs, over-the-counter drug use, how do we stop it? No one has the perfect answer on how to stop people from using drugs, but there is one way that you can give your children better chances than they might have when it comes to winning the war against drugs. How do I know this – from personal experience, from living life, from growing up in the generation of flower power and the era when drugs were prevalent and widespread throughout the large cities in America. What was one of the things that helped keep me away from drugs when drugs were all around me? If you knew the answer of how to stop your children from using drugs would you use the solution? drugs before and after
Nothing is guaranteed, of course. Everyone is an individual and of course, if one person wants to do drugs and if one person feels they need to do drugs, then that person will abuse drugs. However, there are little things, ordinary things that we can do to guide our children in the better directions in life, and these little things have been proven to work on most children. Here is how you can give your children a head start, a running start in the race against illegal drugs in your society.
- Enforce an atmosphere where time is valuable and that valuable time is filled with good events, good projects, and valuable hobbies. Any time that is spent doing good, doing productive projects, being busy being creative is that much less time that any person will spend doing drugs or being hooked on drugs. introduce your children to being creative, to having a hobby, to becoming very interested in bringing good into their lives and you will have given your children an anti-drug asset. If you look at other teens and adults, it is usually the teens and adults that are occupied with LIFE that have no time and have no interest for illegal drug use. So, first priority, get your child or teen interested in a hobby that rocks their world. Let them choose the hobby and that hobby will last them a lifetime.
- Teach your children the valuable lesson that God is forever with them, wherever they are, with no matter what they are doing. When children realize that God is with them, right there, at that very moment, then children -when approached by drug dealers — will just say no. Anyone who believes in God and believes that God is with them in every moment of their lives will be stronger when it comes to fighting against drug use. Faithful believers are generally much stronger, emotionally than people who believe in nothing. The reason for this is because it is common sense that two are stronger than one. So when a child has a strong faith in God, that child is never alone. That child has a Buddy that will help that child fight the urge to join the drug users. That works! That child has someone they can call on in times of temptation and weakness, and most times, that simple solution to lifes’ problems does work.
- Talk to your child about drugs. Give them the information that they need to have in their lives. But most importantly talk to them about drugs even when you think that they are too young to know about drugs. No child is too young to learn about illegal drug use. Your approach in the talk will be different depending on the age of the child. But every single child should be taught about illegal drug use. Besides this talk to them about alcohol abuse.
- KNOW that there are sometimes direct links between alcohol abuse and illegal drug use or abuse of prescription drugs. There are times when a child or teen will be very vulnerable to using illegal drugs when normally they would not dream of toughing the product. These times are the times when a child is weak or vulnerable – for example, if a child or teen has abused alcohol or is really drunk. That child will possibly accept drugs if that child is drunk when normally that child had the attitude of “just say no” to drugs. This is how educated children or teens get hooked on drugs when they have, all their life, been anti-drug. So, a clear, present, solid education on alcohol abuse is one of the weapons that you have in your arsenal against illegal drug use and against prescription drug use.
- Keep your prescription drugs out of the medicine cabinet and keep them inside a locked box away from children and teens. Every child has a bit of temptation inside of them. It is best to get the drugs out of plain view. The bathroom and the medicine cabinet are private places. Children and teens can look through there and experiment in there and you would never know it happened. Knowledge is your second weapon against drug use. So keep all and any prescriptions locked up and out of the bathroom. Throw out all old prescriptions. You do not need them if they have been sitting for years. They are not valuable to you and if you need them again, you should go to the doctors and get new prescriptions.
- Clear your home out. You can have alcohol in your home, just do not have a liquor store inside your home. Do not make your home a storage home for abundant alcohol or prescription, or illegal or legal drugs. This is so important in fighting the drug war. Why have a stock of these items when children and teens are in the house. Children and teens are natural curious people and they are experimenters. There are children and teens who never would have been hooked had the product not been in the home. So do your best. If you need a supply of anything in your home, make it a supply of good reading books, and good music and wonderful creative projects and and arts and crafts items.
- Do not use illegal drugs yourself. Just say no! When your child or teen sees you abusing drugs, illegal or legal, you are teaching your child how to live. You do not want to teach that lesson. If you think that you can take illegal drugs and not set a bad example, you are mistaken. I know of one family who used pot but forbid the children to use pot because it was illegal. Of course, that child grew and when that child reached a certain age, that child became a full time drug user. That child grew up to be a drug dealer, and wound up in jail and is now currently either in jail or in a half-way house. That child has a lifetime of illegal drug use. That same child who watched his parents smoke “recreational pot”. Sometimes your children will not have the strength or resistance that you might have. So do not think that you can take drugs into your home and not promote these drugs to your own children. Do not use illegal drugs and do not abuse alcohol or prescription drugs. Care about your children even if you do not care about yourself. Please save your child’s life by not doing anything illegal.